Thai Food – How to make Tom Yam Gung ต้มยำกุ้ง
Tom Yam Gung (ต้มยำกุ้ง) is a delicious spicy soup with shrimp / prawns. Here I will outline what you need to make it and how to make it. It’s an easy recipe. Enjoy it is truly delicious.
3 chili peppers
2 tablespoon fish sauce
3 kaffir lime leaves
3-4 Thai parsley
1 cup shrimp
4 cups water
1. Bring a pan of water to a boil.
2. Prepare the shrimps by peeling and removing the shrimp’s vein.
3. Cut up the Thai parsley and galangal.
4. Slice the lemon grass, 5-6 inches long. Pound the lemon grass to soften. Place the lemon grass and galangal in the boiled water and continue to boil for 5 minutes.
5. Add the lime leaves to the pot.
6. Cut the mushrooms in half and then add them to the pot.
7. Then add the shrimp. Wait for a few minutes and turn off the heat. Now add the Thai parsley. The shrimp will cook in no time at all.
8. Serve the Tom Yam Gung ต้มยำกุ้ง into bowls. Add the fish sauce, lime and chili to taste. Then add the naam prik pao.
9. Be warned this can be very spicy so taste a little at a time until you get used to the flavor.
Thai Cooking Vocabulary
tablespoon ช้อนโต๊ะ /chɔ́ɔn dtó/
fish sauce น้ำปลา /nám-bplaa/
kaffir lime leaves ใบมะกรูด /bai má-grùut/
lemongrass ตะไคร้ /dtà-krái/
galangal ข่า /kàa/
lime มะนาว /má-naao/
mushroom เห็ด /hèt/
Thai parsley ผักชีฝรั่ง /pàk-chii-fà-ràng/
Shrimp กุ้ง /gûng/
I hope you have learnt something new and that you have enjoyed this lesson.
If you would like to learn more Thai you are welcome to look at our other lessons, or see our videos YouTube site or follow us in Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook or Google+ – links at the top of our page.
Thai Language Teacher