How to make Tap Tim Grop – Red Rubies in Coconut Milk
This is a delicious Thai dessert I really highly recommend – you will love it.
1. 800 grams water chestnuts – Clean, peel off the skin and cut into chunks (dice shapes)
2. 600 mls of coconut milk
3. 2 teaspoons of salt
4. 200 grams of sugar
5. 250 mls fresh water
6. 375 mls red syrup (Hale’s Blue Boy red sala flavor)
7. 500 grams tapioca flour
8. Prepared fresh jackfruit or cooked sweet corn (For serving with with Tap Tim Grop)
1. Soak the shelled and cleaned water chestnuts in Hale’s Blue Boy syrup for 15 minutes.
2. Mix the now red water chestnuts with the tapioca flour until the water chestnuts get covered by the flour. Then boil the chestnuts in hot water until cooked. When cooked, the chestnuts will float. Then remove the chestnuts from the hot water and put in cold water.
3. Prepare the sauce by adding the sugar and fresh water in a pan and bring to the heat. Mix until the sugar has melted into the water and then remove from the heat.
4. Add coconut milk and salt in small pan and bring to the h
eat until all the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.
5. Present the dish – add the cooked water chestnuts into a bowl then add shaved ice, the syrup, the coconut milk and jackfruit and/or cooked corn.
Eat it is delicious!
water chestnuts = แห้ว /hɛ̂ɛw/
Peel off = ปอกเปลือก /bpɔ̀ɔk bplᵾ̀ak/
coconut milk = กะทิ /gà-tí/
salt = เกลือ /glᵾa/
sugar = น้ำตาล /nám-dtaan/
jackfruit = ขนุน /kà-nǔn/
tapioca flour = แป้งมันสำปะหลัง /bpɛ̂ɛng-man-sǎm-bpà-lǎng/
sweet corn = ข้าวโพด /kâao-pôot/
I hope you have learnt something new and that you have enjoyed this lesson.
Thai Language Teacher