Drink Vocabulary |
in Thai Language
Are you thirsty?
If so, today I will teach you some Thai vocabulary about beverages เครื่องดื่ม | krᵾ̂ang-dᵾ̀ᵾm so hopefully you can order the drinks you like. Most drinks unless you specify will be cold. Thailand is a hot tropical country and there is nothing better than having a cool refreshing drink – you will have to specify hot ร้อน | rɔ́ɔn in most cases including coffee and tea.
Further, Thai’s have a very sweet tooth so I recommend that if you do not like sweet drinks you state this also when you order your drink – mâi wǎan ไม่หวาน. In fact sweet in Thai is also slang meaning good so watch out Thai’s may think they are doing you a favour by making your drink super sweet :-)!!!
In addition contrary to popular image, there are many other drinks other than beer here in Thailand!
To ask for your drink say the following and then swap out Chang beer | bia cháang for the drink of your choice.
kɔ̌ɔ……kráp| kà ขอ…..ครับ/ค่ะ
kɔ̌ɔ bia cháang kráp | ขอเบียร์ช้างครับ = may I have Chang beer please
kɔ̌ɔ ขอ = would like
Thai Drink Vocabulary
Most drinks are prefixed with the name nám = water but watch out not all are like this ie:
- น้ำเปล่า /nám-bplào/ = plain cold water
- น้ำ + name of fruit /nám + name of fruit/ = fruit juice
- น้ำส้ม /nám-sôm/ = orange juice
- น้ำมะนาว/nám-má-naao/ = lime juice
Other Popular Drinks
- ชา /chaa/ = tea
- ชาร้อน /chaa rɔ́ɔn/ = hot tea
- ชาเย็น /chaa yen/ = iced tea
- ชามะนาว /chaa má-naao/ = lemon tea
- กาแฟ /gaa-fɛɛ/ = coffee
- กาแฟร้อน /gaa-fɛɛ rɔ́ɔn/ = hot coffee
- กาแฟเย็น /gaa-fɛɛ yen/ = iced tea
- โกโก้ /goo-gôo /= cocoa
- โกโก้ร้อน /goo-gôo rɔ́ɔn/ = hot cocoaโกโก้เย็น /goo-gôo yen/ = iced cocoaนม /nom/ = milkนมเปรี้ยว /nom-bprîaw/ = drinking yogurtAnd finally and not forgetting – เบียร์ /bia/ = beer
Hopefully, you can now order your drink. Let us know if you liked this Thai lesson in our comments below.
If you would like to learn some more Thai then you are welcome to search this site, we have over 450 Thai lessons here or look at our YouTube channel where we have over 250 Thai Video Lessons.
If you are serious about learning Thai then please contact us for a free trial lesson either online. We will be happy to help you.
- Look forward to seeing you in my next lesson.
Thai Language Teacher